Master of Arts in Mass Communication (MA-JMC) is a two year post graduate degree program. The MA-JMC curriculum equips students with the best skills, knowledge and values to make them true media professionals. The MA-JMC degree program is divided into four semesters based on the CBCS pattern. This course is designed for enthusiastic individuals with inquisitive minds who can prove to be a game changer for the industry with their creativity and brilliant approach.
The SoJMC focuses on the all-round development of the student by facilitating the understanding of the strategic application of the technologies developed in media field. The course is a perfect blend of industrial visits along with classroom teaching and practical experience in newly designed innovative laboratories that add to the learning experience. Students are encouraged to use research methodologies to enable conceptual thinking and design work and thus to develop a practical understanding of the underlying principles of the media industry. Students are confident to apply their skills in real time industry situations.
• Innovative Media Lab for creative thinking and production. • MOJO Lab – The first of its kind Mobile Journalism & Citizen Journalism Lab. • Video Editing Lab for editing the films, news bulletin, documentary and current affair programs etc. • Journalism Data Lab facilitates with a back up of various national and international journals and periodicals and news clippings.
|Academic||Year||Tution Fee||Book Bank||NPTEL||Examination||Fee Total|
|MASTER OF ARTS (JOURNALISM AND MASS COMMUNICATION)||2 years||38000||2000||1100||Semester Pattern||56100|
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO)
- PEO-1 The programme is to encourage students to demonstrate a high level of proficiency in research, writing, and multimedia storytelling, as well as possess the ability to adapt to new technologies and emerging media platforms.
- PEO-2 The programme aims to equip students with the necessary tools to effectively navigate the ever-evolving field of journalism and mass communication, while also promoting a global perspective and intercultural understanding.
- PEO-3 With a strong emphasis on practical experience and industry internships, the programme is to develop students as will enter the media industry with a deep understanding of its inner workings and be well-prepared to navigate its challenges and opportunities.
- PEO-4 The programme is to impart the students with the ability of ethical decision-making, ensuring that they adhere to professional standards and uphold the principles of integrity and fairness in their reporting.
- PEO-5 By instilling a strong sense of social responsibility, the programme encourages students to use their platform to promote positive social change and advocate for marginalized communities.
- PEO-6 To understand and involved in necessary self-learning activities (NPTEL, online courses, short course, workshops, conferences, seminars, symposiums etc) throughout life, through self-paced and self-directed learning aimed at personal development, up-skill and re-skill.
Program Outcomes (PO’s)
- PO1: Students will develop critical understanding about concept, principals and theories of mass communication. Students would able to express knowledge and understanding of journalistic principles, history and practices in various media formats.
- PO2: Students would know the techniques of media form planning to publishing/broadcasting. The porgramme is to developing proficiency in researching, interviewing, writing, editing, and producing content that meets media professional standards.
- PO3: Students will able to create content for all media formats like Print, Radio, Television, films and Digital Media.
- PO4: The program also aims to equip students with technical skills and knowledge of various media tools and software, such as video editing software, graphic design programs, and social media management platforms.
- PO5: Students will have the required public relations and advertising skills for various industry.
- PO6: Students will be familiar with the social responsibilities of media. He/She will able to cater local, regional, national and international needs. This programme will develop skills and sense of belonging to all section of society and encourage to take action for uplifting them.
- PO7: Students will able to opt entrepreneurship.
- PO8: Students will be sensitive towards environment and social issues. He/She will aware about the sustainable goals of United Nations Organization.
Programme Specific Outcome (PSO's)
- PSO1: Students learn the creative writing skills for films, radio, television and digital platforms.
- PSO2: Students get to know the media laws and ethics.
- PSO3: Students would be able to use necessary research techniques, use statistical tools, work on proper research methodology, and able to do research in a systematic manner.
- PSO4: Students will get encouraged for self-employment.
- PSO5: Students will aware of social, cultural and environmental issues.
- PSO6: The students get the required skills for print media like reporting, writing, editing, print software quark express and Indesign etc.
- PSO7: Students get to know the different aspects of electronic media.
- PSO8: Students learn how to use the audio-video equipment for production.
- PSO9: Students get familiar with the various media production software.
- PSO10: Students get to know the technical aspects all media setups.