M.Sc. Microbiology is 2 years advanced post graduation course having overall four semesters. M.Sc. Microbiology can be studied after the completion of graduation in the field of Botany, Zoology, Biotechnology, Microbiology etc.
The syllabus includes subjects like Biostatistics, Immunology, Virology, Biochemistry etc. Every student enrolled in this course needs to do some research work and laboratory sessions as part of the curriculum.
- Main focuses on understanding living systems and their impact.
- Allows refining the skills and knowledge in subjects like cell biology, Immunology etc.
- Online courses like NPTEL and MOOCS are offered in this program.
- Laboratories are well furnished.
- Each and every molecular technique is being performed in labs.
- Skilled developed in scientific, analytical and problem-solving.
Have great career opportunities in:
- Water industry,
- Chemical technology and
|Academic||Year||Tution Fee||Book Bank||NPTEL||Examination||Fee Total|
|MASTER OF SCIENCE (MICROBIOLOGY)||2 years||25000||2000||1100||Semester Pattern||40100|
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO)
- PEO-1 To bring the study of microbiology for the Sustainable Development of human civilization, the programme includes information on significant microbes of Agricultural, Medical, and Industrial importance, Biomolecules, Tools and Techniques, Enzymes, Immunology, Cell biology, Molecular biology, and Genetic Engineering.
- PEO-2 To assist growing demand for competent scientific personnel, with a focus on application, information sharing, and advancement in interdisciplinary fields connected to microbiology and the life sciences
- PEO-3 Laboratory courses/practical are meant to give the students the expertise for labs they need in microbiology. In addition to designing and carrying out experiments, they will be able for analysis and to understand scientific data.
- PEO-4 Students will be given the knowledge and skills they need through the programme to pursue further education in the fields of microbiology and related fields, as well as in multidisciplinary fields involving microbiology, biochemistry, biotechnology, and molecular biology. It will also assist in the development of a variety of generic skills important for fostering student entrepreneurship.
- PEO-5 The students will learn about a variety of professions that mix microbiology, the environment, business, and medicine.
Program Outcomes (PO’s)
- PO1: Be capable of providing high-quality clinical investigations by having knowledge and technical expertise related to Microbiology laboratories.
- PO2: Handle common laboratory instruments, Perform sophisticated molecular microbiological techniques, maintain/operate laboratory equipment and Conduct standard clinical laboratory techniques while adhering to appropriate quality control standards.
- PO3: Acquire problem-solving skills for identifying and addressing pre-, post-, and analytical variables. Thereby compiling and presenting research studies that progress all fields of advanced research using the basics of the research process.
- PO4: Work in a wide range of professional and industrial research fields as a team leader or team member to gain real-world experience.
- PO5: Foster a questioning mindset toward the growth of inventiveness and the improvement of entrepreneurship abilities.
Programme Specific Outcome (PSO's)
- PSO1: Learners will be capable to pick up specific knowledge and skills related to microbiology and apply them.
- PSO2: Students will be competent to recognise the diversity of microorganisms and microbial communities inhabiting a wide range of environments and comprehend the pathogenic as well as beneficial significance of microorganisms.
- PSO3: In a microbiology lab, students will become acquainted with and able to use proper laboratory practises, and they will also be able to describe the theoretical foundations and practical capabilities of the instruments and technology that are generally used in Microbiology.
- PSO4: Students will learn the basic theories and concepts underlying the diverse branches of agricultural and environmental microbiology.
- PSO5: The concepts of microbiology as they relate to many disciplines, including as biochemistry, microbial physiology, molecular biology, and genetics, will become more familiar to and understood by students.
- PSO6: Students will have the knowledge and skills necessary to use microbiology to identify problems involving microorganisms, discuss these with colleagues, and take corrective action.
- PSO7: They will be able to describe the procedures through which microorganisms acquire energy, carry out their metabolism, reproduce, survive, and interact with their surroundings, hosts, and host populations.
- PSO8: They will have a wide range of career options, including positions in higher education institutions teaching biological and medical science, environmental groups, public health, food and dairy and pharmaceutical industries.
- PSO9: Students in the M.Sc. Microbiology Program will develop their ability to reason scientifically as they explore a wide range of modern topics, including virology, microbial physiology, biochemistry, immunology, cell biology, Microbial genetics, molecular biology and environmental microbiology.
- PSO10: Students will gain knowledge of the different biotechnological uses of microorganisms as well as the materials produced by microbes that are pertinent to industry. They will gain knowledge of the unique function bacteria play in genetic modification techniques.
- PSO11: Students will learn how to conduct a microbiological experiment properly and have the ability to explain the theoretical justifications and real-world applications of the tools and technology widely used in this industry. Students can master the quantitative skills necessary to research biological topics.
- PSO12: Students will gain knowledge of laboratory techniques, the development and testing of hypotheses, and the planning and carrying out of experiments. Students can improve both their capacity for critical thought and for reading and interpreting scientific texts.